Macadamia nuts are an unexpected new source of exceptionally healthy salad and cooking oil. Though we have known for years that Macadamia nuts are very healthy and delicious to eat, recent scientific evidence revealed that Macadamia oil offers a bounty of special benefits for your health. The oil in macadamias is largely monounsaturated which is often described as the “good oil”.
Soya Husks are used in the Macadamia Oil pressing process
Macadamias contain a higher percentage of monounsaturated oils than any other natural product. Macadamia oil is similar to olive oil in its composition and use. Macadamias are low in damaging saturated fats, low in polyunsaturated fats which oxidize readily and are high in monounsaturated fats. Consuming less fat has been a health message but the type of fat is much more important than total fats. Diets containing moderate fat levels promote satiety and have been shown to be sustainable and enjoyable in the long term. Low fat diets have often been shown to be unsatisfying and difficult to maintain. The desirable Mediterranean Health Pyramid diet has 40% of the food energy coming from fat.
Comparison on dietary fats and oils
Interesting Facts About Macadamia Oil
- The fat in Macadamia oil is 80% monounsaturated (the most beneficial for your health) the highest percentage amongst cooking oils.
- Macadamia oil is the lowest of all culinary oils in Omega 6 fat.
- Macadamia oil retains a very high smoke point of 234°C, and is ideal for stir frying, sautéing and salad dressings.
- Macadamia oil is very stable in use and also provides long shelf-life.
- Macadamia oil is high in palmitoleic acid a monounsaturated fatty acid that does not occur in any other plant oil yet is found in the human skin’s sebum. This makes it an ideal, nourishing application for normal to dry complexions or those that are continually exposed to the harsh elements.
- Macadamia oil makes a wonderful, emollient addition to a therapeutic bath.
- Macadamia oil can be used in skin or facial oils, massage oils or as a direct application to parched, mature and dry skin conditions.